The shaped arms and central plinth are veneered with flamed mahogany and has turned solid mahogany hooks above a later replaced marble shelf that sits on lyre-shaped mahogany supports. The plinth base retains a green metal liner above four turned bun feet.
The hall stand corresponds to designs issued in 1876 by Shoolbred & Co. of Tottenham Court Road, and in 1881 by C. & R. Light. The former had started in business as drapers but added cabinet-making to their repertoire in the 1870s employing professional designers and expanding rapidly. They gained a royal appointment by the mid 1880s. The latter was established in the early 1860s in Curtain Road, Shoreditch, then the heart of London's cabinet trade. In 1880 they issued 'Cabinet Furniture: Designs and Catalogue of Cabinet and Upholstery Furniture, Looking-Glasses, etc. (Edward Joy, Pictorial Dictionary of British 19th Century Furniture Design, Woodbridge, 1977, pp. 357 and 359).
Height 205.00cm (80.71 inches)
Width 69.00cm (27.17 inches)
Depth 29.00cm (11.42 inches)
Stock No: FCS527