Regency Specialists in the Antiques Trade
circa 1815 - 1825
Early 19th century Regency period side mahogany cabinet in the manner of Gillows of London & Lancaster.
The breakfront cabinet with a highly figured top sits above a single drawer and a bevelled moulded edge. The single drawer is executed in cedar wood with fine dove tail mouldings and fitted with the original gilt brass lock. The frieze veneer is well figured mahogany and set into recessed moulded panels, flanked by carved gadrooned finials above silk backed grills below. The gilt brass grills are original and have faded over the years to the colour we see today.
The silk backed doors are separated by boldly modelled spiral double baluster pilasters with with a single reeded moulding above and below. The whole standing on turned bun feet terminating on the original brass hairy paw feet. The breakfront cabinet is of diminutive form and the timber used throughout is of the finest quality.
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded in Lancaster circa 1730 by Robert Gillow, (1704-1772).
Library table, made by Gillow to a Chippendale design, on display in the Judges' Lodgings, Lancaster.
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan's comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality.
Height 89.00cm (35.04 inches)
Width 90.00cm (35.43 inches)
Depth 40.00cm (15.75 inches)
Stock No: 11509