circa 1800 - 1810
An early 19th century Regency period rosewood crossbanded side table attributable to the workshops of George Oakley.
The rosewood rectangular top with curved 'D' ends is laid with book matched veneers cross banded with West Indian satinwood and figured rosewood. The shallow frieze below conceals two full length mahogany lined drawers that are fitted with the original gilt brass ball handles and locks. The faded rosewood to the frieze is cross banded in West Indian Satinwood and repeated to the reverse and raised on cross banded trestle end supports. The end supports are fitted with a finely turned rosewood stretcher above ormolu mounted plinths and stand on carved volute feet with scrolled gilt metal mounts on inset brass castors. The table is cross banded through out and has a warm golden colour that is hard to find in rosewood.
Excellent, original gilt mounts
George Oakley (d. 1841) George Oakley was among the foremost cabinet-makers of his day, with premises in Bond Street, London, and the city. He had a wide and distinguished circle of patrons, including the Prince Regent, for whom he worked on Carlton House. He supplied furniture for the Mansion House and the Bank of England, as well as private clients such as the banker Thomas Baring, Edward, Lord Lascelles, for whom he worked at Harewood House, Hanover Square, London, and many more including Sir Henry and Sir John Sutton Nelthorpe, the 7th and 8th Barons of Scawby Hall. Oakley was granted a Royal warrant in 1799 after receiving a visit from Queen Charlotte and other members of the Royal family, upon which ‘ …… her Majesty, The Duke and Duchess of York, and the Princesses & c., highly approved of the splendid variety which has justly attracted the notice of the fashionable world’ (Morning Chronicle, May 1799). He enjoyed a long and successful career, stretching from 1789-1819, specialising in French and Grecian style furniture.
Height 72.00cm (28.35 inches)
Width 76.00cm (29.92 inches)
Depth 44.00cm (17.32 inches)
Stock No: 11353