Attributed to GILLOWS OF LANCASTER & London
circa 1805 - 1815
Early 19th century Regency period rosewood and brass mounted marble top side cabinet.
The St Anne marble top is fitted with the original brass gallery and sits above brass mounted up-turned tulip heads that flank a brass inlaid frieze. The solid brass banding sits above two grill doors and opens to reveal two adjustable shelves. The breakfront side cabinet is flanked by rosewood pillars with intricate brass inlaid boulle work with brass strung inlay to the sides. The breakfront side cabinet stands on hairy brass paw feet.
This side cabinet follows the fashion of ‘Buhl’ inlay in the French manner, illustrating the influence of the Louis XIV revival in later Regency furniture, particularly after the restoration of the French monarchy in 1814. The contrast between the originally much darker rosewood and the richness of the brass strapwork would have been enhanced in subdued lamplight. One of the most celebrated Louis XIV revival drum tables was supplied to the Golden Drawing Room at Carlton House for the Prince Regent, and was illustrated in W. H. Pyne’s Royal Residences, published in 1819.
Height 99.00cm (38.98 inches)
Width 96.00cm (37.8 inches)
Depth 34.00cm (13.39 inches)
Stock No: 10606