Regency Specialists in the Antiques Trade
circa 1815 - 1820
The inkstand is in the form of a hinged scallop-shell and retains the original finish. The interior inkwells are missing. It has an ormolu mounted Verde antique marble square section base with a crisply carved foliate collar above a gilded plinth.
Thomas Messenger & Sons (1810 to 1830)
The firm was founded by Thomas Messenger in the early 1810s, originally as a maker of fine furniture mounts, and traded from 1826-27 as 'Manufacturers of Chandeliers, Tripods and Lamps, of every description in bronze and ormolu' (E. Moncrieff, 'Argand Lamps', Antique Collector, February 1990, p. 47).
By the 1830s Messenger went into business with his sons to produce fine and highly crafted chandeliers, lamps and candelabra in brass and ormolu. Based in Birmingham, with premises at Nos. 15-16 on Broad Street, the firm was part of the city’s flourishing bronze and plate industry.
After Thomas’ death in 1832, the firm became known as 'Thomas Messenger and Sons' continuing at Hatton Garden, London and Broad Street, Birmingham into the 1860s, obtaining a reputation for producing outstanding original and highly decorative designs, manufactured to the highest standards.
Stock No: 11540