The original glass plate mirror sits in a bold giltwood frame that has a wonderful colour and fairly untouched original water gilt finish. The mercury plate has an egg and dart moulding. The boldly carved wreath surrounds the circular mirror with elegant carved ribbons which have a striking quality that is rare to see as most mirrors of this period tended to be rectangular.
Height 92.00cm (36.22 inches)
Width 82.00cm (32.28 inches)
Depth 4.00cm (1.57 inches)
Stock No: F460
The mirror has a few touches of recent re-gilding. Over 95% of the mirror is in un-touched condition. No obvious signs of restoration!
Although the mirror is not associated to any one carver, it is true that William Kent (1685 -1748) painter, architect and designer favoured and enthused about the great Palladian architecture of Italy, notably designing and building Horse Guards and Treasury Buildings in Whitehall. The egg and dart moulding to the edge of the mirror is certainly a feature seen on known pieces of furniture and mirrors made and designed by William Kent.
There are four drawings in the Victoria and Albert Museum attributable to the circle of William Kent. The drawings are in the Palladian style which was fashion at the time.