In the manner of George Oakley of London
circa 1800 - 1805
The pair of breakfront cabinets have finely speckled green marble tops which sit above a pair of silk pleated doors. The geometrical brass stringing that decorates the frieze and door panels is flanked by carved giltwood and gesso columns and surmounted lion head masks. The silk pleated doors open to reveal a single shelf and the cabinets stand on the original giltwood and gesso ball feet.
George Oakley was among the foremost cabinet-makers of his day, with premises in Bond Street, London, and the city. He had a wide and distinguished circle of patrons, including the Prince Regent, for whom he worked on Carlton House. During a career spanning over half a century he supplied furniture for the Mansion House and the Bank of England, as well as private clients such as the banker Thomas Baring, Edward, Lord Lascelles, for whom he worked at Harewood House, Hanover Square, London, and many, many more including Sir Henry and Sir John Sutton Nelthorpe, the 7th and 8th Barons of Scawby Hall.
Height 93.00cm (36.61 inches)
Width 110.00cm (43.31 inches)
Depth 33.00cm (12.99 inches)
Stock No: FCS490