Regency Specialists in the Antiques Trade
circa 1820 - 1830
Early pair of 19th century Regency period oak hall chairs attributed to T & G Seddon
The shield back chairs with scrolled top rails and centralised family crests. The shield backs are moulded, shaped and carved above a stylised platform base that terminates on scrolled ears.
The oak seat above carved roundels, tapered supports and fluted tapered legs that terminate on painted shaped toes. The back legs are made in the solid with an out-stretched leg.
A similar hall chair, stamped T & G Seddon is illustrated in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, figure 821, with an Aldersgate Street label.
Thomas and George Seddon traded from Aldersgate Street, and from 16 Lower Grosvenor Street from 1826. The firm was awarded a Royal Warrant in 1837. The tapering reeded leg shows the influence of Charles Heathcote Tatham's designs.
Height 82.00cm (32.28 inches)
Width 46.00cm (18.11 inches)
Depth 43.00cm (16.93 inches)
Stock No: 10724