circa 1785 - 1795
George III period West Indian satinwood, polychrome painted armchairs attributed to Seddon, Son & Shackleton.
A stunning pair of solid satinwood armchairs with the Prince of Wales plume centralising the centre uprights.
The uprights are shaped and tapered and sit above a caned seat. The armchairs are elegantly lined through out with a fine ebonised stringing.
The seat front rail is finely painted and the chairs are raised on finely tapered West Indian satinwood legs that terminate on spade feet. The caned seats retain a deep button cushion. Some of the polychrome has been refreshed.
The pair of chairs is firmly associated with the firm of Seddon. In around 1790 George Seddon took his son-in-law Thomas Shackleton into the business and they traded as Seddon, Son and Shackleton from 150 Aldersgate Street. Painted furniture from this period is known to have been a feature of the firm's output thanks to two documented commissions: Hauteville House, St Peter Port, Guernsey (1790) and Bridwell House, Dorset (1792-3). The Hauteville commission included a set of eighteen painted satinwood elbow chairs with three matching window seats (see 'A Catalogue and Index of old Furniture and Works of Decorative Art, Pt III', M. Harris and Sons, p.386-9, and the Bridwell commission, a satinwood card table and pair of Pembroke tables, see C. Gilbert and G. Beard The Dictionary of English Furniture Makers 1660-1840, 1986, pp.796-7.) A pair of D-shaped polychrome decorated pier tables where Seddon was considered to be a possible maker were sold at Sotheby's The Leverhulme Collection, Thornton Manor, 23 June 2001, lot 186.
The firm of Seddon (1753-1868) was the largest furniture making firm in London in the last quarter of the 18th century, yet few labelled or documented pieces are known so it is difficult to typify a definition of the house style. It was remarked by Sophie von La Roche during her visit to Seddon’s showroom in 1786, that Seddon was, ‘constantly devising new forms’.
They had commissions for Charles IV of Spain, Windsor Castle and various country houses including Hauteville House in Guernsey and Bridwell house in Dorset. The company traded under many different names but used Seddon, Son & Shackleton from 1788 to 1798. The combination of elegant painted decoration and satinwood used in these cabinets is reflective of the company’s output in this period.
The firm traded under different names, reflecting which family members were involved in the business; they were styled Seddon, Son and Shackleton for only eight years, from 1790 until Thomas Shackleton (George Seddon's son-in-law) left to go into partnership with George Oakley in 1798.
Height 89.00cm (35.04 inches)
Width 55.00cm (21.65 inches)
Depth 53.00cm (20.87 inches)
Stock No: 10688