circa 1826 - 1836
George IV late Regency flamed mahogany table made by Mack and Gibton.
The highly figured solid Cuban mahogany top retains an old finish and patina. The top lifts and opens to reveal figured surfaces and swivels to lay completely flat on the top base. The mahogany frieze is decorated with reeded panels. The ring turned and carved pedestal sits above elongated 'S' scrolled carved solid mahogany legs that stand on brass castors.
It used to be thought that furniture production in Ireland went into a decline after the 1800 Act of Union, but this is now seen not to have been the case. In fact a number of manufacturers continued to enjoy a considerable amount of business, and among the most successful was Mack, Williams and Gibton.
The firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton was formed around 1812, but its history can be traced to the latter part of the 18th century, when John Mack established a cabinet-making business in Abbey Street, Dublin. First recorded in 1784, Mack continued to trade alone from Abbey Street until 1800 and in 1801 placed an advertisement in The Dublin Evening Post. About this time he was joined by another cabinet-maker, Robert Gibton, who had established his own business a few years earlier. In addition to cabinet-making, Gibton also worked as an auctioneer, while his trade label, a copy of which survives on a deed box in the National Museum, Dublin, indicates that he was likewise a maker and seller of trunks, portmanteaus, gun cases and musical instrument cases.
The partnership of Mack and Gibton flourished. By 1803 the business had moved to larger premises in Stafford Street, and in 1805 the partnership was formalized. The following year Mack and Gibton received the ultimate accolade, being appointed 'Upholsterers & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant, and His Majesty's Board of Works'. In 1812 Robert Gibton died and was succeeded by his son William Gibton (1789-1842). At the same time, a former apprentice, Zachariah Williams, who had married Robert Gibton's daughter, joined the management, thus creating the new partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton. Under this name the firm enjoyed unparalleled success.
Mack, Williams and Gibton retained its Royal Warrant for many years, supplying and restoring furniture for some of the most important public buildings in Ireland, including the Four Courts, the War Office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle, the Chapel royal, and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. At the same time the firm undertook commissions for several major Irish country houses, such as Ballynegall House of Westmeath, Oakley Park in the county of Meath, and Strokestown in the country of Roscommon.
Following the death of John Mack in 1829, the firm continued to trade under the names of the surviving partners, Williams and Gibton, and in 1844, two years after the death of William Gibton, it again changed its name to Williams and Sons, finally ceasing business in 1852.
Stock No: 11375