circa 1775 - 1785
George III 18th century period wall bracket attributed to Francis and John Booker of Dublin.
The serpentine giltwood top above a tightly etched and carved plinth with canted corners. The lower plinth sits above a crisply carved grapevine leaf in bloom with full blown grapes. The grapes are carved in the solid and gildered, burnished and interspersed with gilt metal shoots.
The wall bracket is of high quality and can be attributed to the Irish firm Francis and John Booker of Dublin.
Booker was a Dublin firm of 'Looking Glass Merchants', 'Glass-Grinders' and 'Glass Sellers' which was established by the brothers Francis and John Booker.
The extent of their wares is revealed in their beautiful trade card which incorporates a delicate rococo border interspersed with illustrations and a long detailed list including dressing glasses, lustres, chandeliers and lanterns.
The two brothers are listed in premises in Essex Bridge, Dublin, the same address at which their father is recorded from 1715.
Francis Booker married well and rose to become Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1772 though he died later in the same year leaving the business to be carried on by his brother. John, also a carver and gilder, continued the shop in Essex Bridge until 1786 when he moved to Jervis Street. Three years later he too died.
Height 31.00cm (12.2 inches)
Width 27.00cm (10.63 inches)
Depth 14.50cm (5.71 inches)
Stock No: 10725