Regency Specialists in the Antiques Trade
circa 1845 - 1855
19th century Rio rosewood canterbury by Royal Cabinet Makers Holland & Sons.
A four division music canterbury with integrated carrying handle. The rosewood uprights that support the divisions are made in the solid as are the ring turned columns that decorate the sides.
The top rails are solid but shaped with corner finials that are supported on larger scaled ring turned columns.
The canterbury is highly figured throughout with Rio rosewood with a full length mahogany lined drawer. The makers impress mark is visible on the top inside of the drawer.
The music canterbury is free standing and is raised on elegant tapered legs that sit into gilt brass caps and castors.
This is the Rolls Royce of canterburies!
Holland and Sons (1803 – 1942) were extremely good cabinet makers and they specialised in fine quality furniture. Holland and Sons was founded in 1803 by William Holland.
Originally, they were cabinet makers and upholsterers called ‘Taprelland Holland’. In 1843 they changed their name to ‘Holland and Sons’ with William Holland in control, a relative of the well known Regency architect Henry Holland. They were based at 19 Marylebone Street, London.
Holland and Sons soon started to expand and by 1851 they employed over 350 cabinet makers. In 1852 they moved premises when they took on the prestigious firm of Thomas Dowbiggin of 23 Mount Street, who had previously made the throne for Victoria’s Coronation. Holland and Sons worked successfully not only as furniture makers but also as undertakers and became responsible for the Duke of Wellington’s funeral.
William Holland had the firm expanding at a rapid rate and became so well known, they became cabinetmakers and upholsters to the Queen. Their first commission was for Osborne House, Queen Victoria's house on the Isle of Wight, in 1845, supplying furniture in the Queen’s favourite design, ‘Louis XVI style’ from France. They continued to supply furniture for Osborne House and gained further commissions for Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Marlborough House. Holland and Sons also worked for many leading institutions such as the reform Club (we have also supplied the reform club with our antique furniture in the past), the British Museum and the new Houses of Parliament. They were part of many of the important international exhibitions including London in 1862, Vienna in 1873, Paris in 1867 and 1872. They gained worldwide fame for their magnificent designs and quality cabinet-making throughout the Victorian era. Holland and Sons stayed as a family run business, but sadly closed in 1942.
Height 56.00cm (22.05 inches)
Width 58.00cm (22.83 inches)
Depth 41.00cm (16.14 inches)
Stock No: 11516