By GILLOWS OF LANCASTER & London
circa 1800 - 1810
The late George III Regency period antique Imperial dining table is, by its own original maker's description, 'imperial' to any other dining table. The four solid original mahogany leaves, which can be added or subtracted from the two dining table ends, all have good figuration and colour. The telescopic superstructure is made in solid oak, bringing the two table ends together and allowing the dining table to extend fully for twelve to fourteen diners. The eight fine reeded legs are out of the diners' way and are of the highest quality. The original brass castors offer the table the elegance one would expect from the grandest, finest tables that Gillows made.
The design and quality of the table are identical to known Gillow examples. One such table from the Parlington Hall suite of Gillow furniture is now at the Temple Newsam House Museum and is illustrated in the guide to the collection.
Christopher Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House & Lotherton Hall, Vol II, p.378, item 496.
Width 330.00cm (129.92 inches)
Depth 152.00cm (59.84 inches)
Stock No: F387