Regency Specialists in the Antiques Trade
The black leather covered post box is of octagonal pillar form with a domed pagoda top. A window in the front of the door displays the prevailing rates of postage, and the Bramah Patent lock is in good working order. Below the door a registration mark tells us that the design was registered on the 10th May 1873. The interior is similarly lined. Although the maker is not known, there is a trade mark showing a bird above the letter M stamped in the interior base.
In 1840, Sir Rowland Hill reformed the postal delivery service, establishing a cheap and reliable service. In 1840, 76 million letters were sent via the post, by 1889, 2186 million. In remote country houses it became customary and fashionable to have a posting box in the hall, which was regularly emptied and delivered to the nearest post office. The times of collection and rates were inserted into the front panel.
Comparative Literature: Edward H. Pinto, Treen and other Wooden Bygones, Bell & Hyman 1969.
A comparable miniature street pillar box with a similar lobed dome cover, a leather lined interior and door compartment, was to a design registered in 1872, by John Batson of Brewer Street, Golden Square, London.
Height 40.50cm (15.94 inches)
Width 21.00cm (8.27 inches)
Depth 21.00cm (8.27 inches)
Stock No: F1118